Prospective Interventional Study on the Immediate Postpartum Insertion of IUCD

Main Article Content

Jagrati Kiran Naagar, Shweta Yadav, Sachin Singh Yadav


Introduction: Intrauterine device insertion after delivery is a commendable family planning technique that provided women with secure, reliable, long-lasting, and adaptable contraception in the hospital setting. The purpose of the study was to compare the two modes of insertion—via vaginal delivery and caesarean section—and to assess the clinical outcome of postpartum insertion of intrauterine contraceptive devices in terms of safety and efficacy.

Objectives: 1. To determine awareness among parturient towards PPIUCD. 2. To assess safety and efficacy of PPIUCD insertion.

Materials and Methods: In this prospective interventional trial, 100 vaginal and 100 caesarean deliveries with PPIUCD implantation were evaluated over the course of a year and were followed for four months. A cohort of 200 women was chosen. Perforation, erratic bleeding, atypical vaginal discharge, and infection were outcome markers of safety. Pregnancy, expulsions, cessation, and incidence of coiled-up/undescended strings were outcome markers of efficacy. Data analysis was performed using SPSS software, and a p value of less than 0.05 is regarded as statistically significant.

Results: Only 38% (N=76) of the study sample in the current study was aware of the PPIUCD, while the other 62% were. In our series, there were no major issues like pregnancy or perforation. The most common consequence reported in both groups was severe PV hemorrhage accompanied by lower abdominal discomfort.

Conclusion: The PPIUCD is an excellent way to regulate or space out pregnancies. When a lady is deeply moved and genuinely needs it, it is suggested to her in a setting.

Article Details